Welcome to our Schools’ section
We have recently launched new virtual interactive sessions to enable schools and young people to connect with volunteers remotely. Find out more.
Did you know that our research, conducted in conjunction with the OECD, finds that children as young as six have ideas about what they can and can’t be in the future?
The research also showed that gender and social stereotyping also starts at a very early age. 20 times as many boys aim to have a role in the armed forces or firefighting services compared with girls. Over 20 times the number of girls aspired to be involved in the fashion industry compared to boys. And less than 1% of children knew about the jobs they aspired to be from someone visiting their school – 45% said TV, film and radio were the biggest factors in their choice.
Primary Futures connects primary schools with inspirational, diverse volunteers from a range of careers, who come into school to talk to children about their jobs and show how what they are learning at school can lead to an interesting, exciting future. Our in-school activities feed children’s curiosity, break down gender stereotypes and opens their eyes to future possibilities.
Register for free today by clicking the sign up button at top of right hand corner and join over 3,500 teachers that have already registered to Primary Futures since the programme launched in 2014. You will then have access to:
1. A range of volunteers from different jobs, sectors and career routes that can be invited via the self-service platform to visit your school and speak to the children at your school
2. A range of free resources designed to help you plan how to use the volunteers and run different activities
3. Different campaigns and projects focused on particular sectors or areas of need that you can take part in
4. Special employer led projects that take place throughout the year – including employer hosted events and in school workshops
5. Bespoke support from the Primary Futures team to help you to use the system and plan your activities or events
Why not watch the recent video that we shot at Bramble Brae Primary School in Aberdeen? This illustrates how engaging with young people about their futures broadens their horizons and breaks down stereotypes that can start as early as the age of six.
“Children have voluntarily told us that they believe in themselves more after this event. They were also very surprised that you could learn about some of these jobs in Bradford”
Primary School in Bradford